Updated: March 2013
Waterstones do not offer a self-publishing platform for eBook authors and to list your eBook on Waterstones.com you must submit your title via OverDrive.
We act as an aggregator for OverDrive and can publish your eBook to waterstones.com, along with more than 18,000 libraries (public, corporate and academic) and retailers worldwide. To distribute your eBook to Waterstones via OverDrive you will need:
- a valid ePUB version of your eBook (online validator here)
- an ISBN allocated to your eBook (this must not be the same as your print book).
If you do not have either of these, we can help – please complete our Request a Quote form and we will get back to you with a cost and timescale.
Our Waterstones eBook Distribution Service
Charges, Pricing, Royalties and Payment
- We can distribute your eBook across our entire retailer and library network for a set-up fee of £75 and then an annual fee of £29 per title (after 12 months). We will list your eBook with as many of the following outlets as you wish: OverDrive, Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Gardners and Ingram.
- If you only want to upload your eBook to OverDrive, we charge a £29 annual fee per title (no set-up fee).
- OverDrive pay royalties of 55% after VAT.
- OverDrive do not accept FREE eBooks.
- OverDrive retailers, including Waterstones, may discount the price of your eBooks. You will be paid royalties on the full list price, but other retailers may price match the discounting retailer, and not pay royalties based on the full list price.
- We will pay your royalties on a monthly basis (assuming that the outstanding balance is at least £20)
- We do not charge commission – you will receive 100% of the royalties earned.
- You will be given access to our online sales reporting system, which gives monthly updates of sales through OverDrive and other retailers.
- Your eBook must be in ePUB format
- The ePUB file must pass this validation: online ePUB validator
- There is no maximum file size but no component HTML file should exceed 300kb.
- Smashwords do not allow ePUB files generated by their system to be distributed through other retailers without written permission from Smashwords. If you have used another online ePUB conversion system it is your responsibility to check that you have permission to distribute the file.
- We recommend that your front cover is embedded within the ePUB file and that the file has a fully linked Table of Contents.
Upoad your eBook for Submission to Waterstones
If you have a number of titles please email email@example.com with details of your requirement.
We can also list your eBook with all the major eBook retailers including Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Apple. View full details of our eBook Distribution Service »